FacebookTwitterInstagram
In Soria Poco nuboso min. -2º max. 18º check out the AEMET forecast

Vinuesa

Tourism |  Additional Information |  Heritage |  Where to stay |  Where to eat |  What to do

This town has received a reward for being a Touristic Municipality and is known as “Corte de Pinares”. Vinuesa’s buildings are the best representation of the typical popular architecture of the area. To the north we have the mountain ranges of Urbión and Cebollera, and there we can visit the breathtaking Laguna Negra, known to the rest of the world thanks to the author, Antonio Machado, who wrote about this magical place in La Tierra de Alvargonzález. The impressive landscape of the highland and this glacial lagoon makes it one of the most beautiful touristic attraction in all Spain.

 

The church Nuestra Señora del Pino was constructed in 1591 in a Gothic-Renaissance style. It has a Latin cross floor plan and consists of three naves covered by ribbed vaults and an octagonal chancel. Inside there are many Rococo altarpieces from the 18th century, and the Major Altarpiece, designed by Domingo González de Acereda, dates back to the 17th century.

 

Another excellent example of religious architecture is the 17th-century Gothic chapel called Ermita de la Soledad. It has a rectangular floor plan and two entrances that lead to a beautiful Baroque altarpiece inside. On August 14th, locals celebrate a festivity where they lift a maypole in the square in front of this chapel.

 

In Vinuesa there is a building that was built in 1778 called Casa de los Ramos which is the best example of pinariega architecture. Due to its importance, it was declared Heritage of Cultural Interest in 1996. It is a sober family home divided into an attic and two floors, the first of which is organised around the entrance. There is a front garden surrounded by a stone gate with pyramidal spikes on it. The best view of the house is looking at the main façade although you can also look at it from the sides. The walls are made of very thick painted stones and there are some ashlar stones framing the structure. The entrance is a simple archway and there are two small barred windows with shutters, as well as two symmetrical openings on the sides framed by ashlar stones that were also used as firewalls. A pinewood balcony wraps around the second floor and a large eave corbel holds up the double red tiled roof.

 

Another building worth seeing is the Palace of Don Pedro de Neyla. This building was built in the 17th century under orders of the then Archbishop of Palermo, Pedro de Neyla. The palace belonged to the church until Matías Ramos Calonge bought it and donated it to the village so they could use it as a school that to this day still functions as such.

 

The Palace of Don Pedro de Neyla isn’t the only palace in the area; you can also see the Palace of the Marquises of Vilueña, also known as the Marquises of Valtueña. It is a sober building that dates back to the 17th century. The main façade is dominated by a big rounded arch and four balconies with the coat of arms of the Vilueña family on top.

 

The old washhouse is the testimony of the successful wool industry thanks to the Transhumance in the Middle Ages. It was mostly used to wash the resulting wool from the great amount of sheep that passed through this area propitiated by the benefits of the Honourable Council of the Mesta, a powerful association of sheep ranchers in the Kingdom of Castile. Once this wool was washed, it was hung, marked, weighed and strung together to later be sold or traded. Besides the washhouse, there were other buildings such as the market, where the wool was collected, and residential buildings that accommodated the people who worked there. Its origin is unknown although the first records there are that speak of it date back to 1495.

 

The Roman bridge that dates back to the 2nd century is submerged in the reservoir and can only be seen when the water level is low. It is part of the Roman road that connected Visontium with Uxama, and about 4 kilometres of this road are still in good condition.

 

The spring El Salobral is located in Vailengua and is accessed once passing the stone roman bridge through a forest path that leads to a recently conditioned shelter. For centuries, the water of the spring is known for its prime skincare qualities. Besides accessing the spring, in the shelter there is also a recreational area with picnic tables for the visitors.

 

The local festivities are devoted to Virgen del Pino and one of them called “La Pinochada” which is celebrated on August 15th is declared a Regional Touristic Interest.

Tourist Map

View Tourist Map
View Tourist Map
Tourist Map
Map of Vinuesa
Map of Vinuesa
Casa de Los Ramos and the church
Casa de Los Ramos and the church
Vinuesa River
Vinuesa River
Streets of Vinuesa
Streets of Vinuesa
Palace of Don Pedro de Neyla
Palace of Don Pedro de Neyla

Diputación de Soria (Desarrollo Económico y Turismo)

C/ Caballeros, 17 - 42002 Soria

Tfno. 975 220 511 Fax 975 231 635

turismo@dipsoria.es