FacebookTwitterInstagram
In Soria Despejado min. max. 16º check out the AEMET forecast

Berlanga de Duero

Tourism |  Additional Information |  Heritage |  Where to stay |  Where to eat |  What to do

Berlanga de Duero is declared a Historic-Monumental Ensemble and has an exceptional monumental heritage. It was originally a Celtiberian colony and then became Roman settlement under the name “Augusta Verlanica”, name that later transformed into Berlanga. Throughout the Middle Ages it played an important part in keeping Christians and Muslims separate thanks to its location on the notorious boundary line that the Douro River provides, alike other towns such as San Esteban de Gormaz, Osma, Gormaz and Medinaceli.

 

Among its rich heritage we can find the following:

 

The chapel Ermita de Nuestra Señora de la Soledad and the Gothic pillory (Rollo Gótico)

This chapel was possibly built in the second quarter of the 16th century. The pillory (also called La Picota) is one of the most interesting and best-preserved examples of pillories all throughout the province. It is made of excellent limestone masonry, and its Gothic style dates back to the end of the 15th century and beginning of the 16th.

 

The castle and its walls

The castle, which is now in ruins, dates back to the 15th century though it was built over a 10th-century Muslim fortress of which there are no remnants. It is formed by thick walls that surround the Keep. Currently, the castle is divided into two courtyards: one next to the main entrance, and the other which contains a well and dungeon, where the palace was once located in a porticoed gallery with Gothic columns. There is also a second enclosure that is found between the Medieval castle and a wall built during the Renaissance that improved the palace’s protection.

 

Former collegiate church of Nuestra Señora del Mercado (Ex Colegiata)

The collegiate church of Santa María del Mercado was built over the period of four years (1526-1530) by the architect Juan de Rasines with a Gothic-Renaissance style. It contains three central extremely tall central naves and a transept, strong cylindrical columns that hold the domes with fine tracery.

This collegiate church set an example for many other churches due to its open-concept floor plan and the purity of its lines. The major chapel, in the shape of a Greek cross, is accompanied by other eight enclosed chapels with simple rib vaulting. Out of these chapels, one that stands out is the chapel of Coria which has an octagonal floor plan and it contains a Renaissance style central tomb of the family Bravo de Laguna.

The collegiate is also rich in art, of which it is worth mentioning the tableaus and carvings in the chapels of Santa Ana and the Coria from the 15th and 16th centuries, respectively. The main altar is headed by a carving of Nuestra Señora del Mercado, a Tardoroman sculpture that dates back to the 12th century.

Besides the art and architecture, one can also be awed by a stuffed crocodile hung on the wall that Fray Tomás de Berlanga brought back from the Galapagos Islands, archipelago that he himself discovered.

 

The Town Palace

On the side of the castle’s hill there is the main façade of what was once the Palace of the Marquises of Berlanga (16th century). Today it has become a multipurpose building that contains the Tourist Information Office, the Interpretation Centre and a lookout point where you can see the entire town.

 

A walk through the streets

Pass the Puerta de Aguilera to walk through Berlanga de Duero’s streets with arcades that lead you to the Town Square, a magnificent example of Castilian architecture. From this point many streets emerge, each one more interesting than the last, such as the one that leads to Hoz del Escalote, or the main street Calle Real that has two emblazoned stately homes. Near Calle Real, on the streets Yubería Alta and Yubería Baja, there are many curious adobe houses, typical of the old Jewish borough. One can still see ancient arcades on some of these streets.

 

Interpretation Centre of San Baudelio (Centro de Interpretación)

The Interpretation Centre of San Baudelio offers visitors complete and varied information on the Mozarabic chapel of San Baudelio, located in the nearby village of Casillas de Berlanga. This Interpretation Centre, which is accommodated in Berlanga de Duero’s old abattoir, has many informative panels, audio-visual materials, a scale model of the chapel, and an enormous photo of the distinct palm tree. It also has an area dedicated to learning activities with images of the province and the region that help the visitor better understand the history, architecture, artwork and the environment surrounding the chapel of San Baudelio.

 

Fray Tomás de Berlanga

Friar Tomás de Berlanga was the Bishop of Panamá. He took the African banana to America and discovered the Galápagos Islands. King Charles the V named him arbiter to judge the governance of Francisco Pizarro and Diego de Almagro. He passed away in 1551.

Tourist Map

View Tourist Map
View Tourist Map
Tourist Map
Castle of Berlanga de Duero
Castle of Berlanga de Duero
Streets of Berlanga de Duero
Streets of Berlanga de Duero
Berlanga de Duero
Berlanga de Duero
Collegiate Church of Sta. María del Mercado (Berlanga de Duero)
Collegiate Church of Sta. María del Mercado (Berlanga de Duero)
Palace of Duques de Frías (Berlanga de Duero)
Palace of Duques de Frías (Berlanga de Duero)
Pillory and chapel
Pillory and chapel
Inside the Collegiate of Berlanga de Duero
Inside the Collegiate of Berlanga de Duero

Diputación de Soria (Desarrollo Económico y Turismo)

C/ Caballeros, 17 - 42002 Soria

Tfno. 975 220 511 Fax 975 231 635

turismo@dipsoria.es