FacebookTwitterInstagram
In Soria Despejado min. max. 16º check out the AEMET forecast

Convent of the Royal, Celestial and Military Order of Our Lady of Mercy and the Redemption of the Captives (Almazán)

Monument since 1947.

 

This 13th-century Romanesque convent was restored in 1984 due to its poor state. It went from being a secluded convent, near the San Francisco farm to being part of the town’s most populated area. There are hardly any remains of its original Baroque façade, part of the cloisters and what was once the church’s major chapel. In 1835 the convent was confiscated which led to the friars’ exclaustration and the communities goods being sold. This is the reason why the building was abandoned which led to people taking stones from the structure as well as stones from the convent of San Francisco in order to build roads and pavements. In 1984 the convent was partially restored in order to avoid further deterioration. Over six centuries, the Royal, Celestial and Military Order of Our Lady of Mercy and the Redemption of the Captives had a great influence on the locals, especially Friar Gabriel Téllez “Tirso de Molina”, who passed away in this convent in 1648 and is said to be in the convent’s cemetery.

Tourist Map

View Tourist Map
View Tourist Map
Tourist Map
Añadir a tu Ruta
Convent of the Royal, Celestial and Military Order of Our Lady of Mercy and the Redemption of the Captives
Convento de la Merced (Almazán)

Diputación de Soria (Desarrollo Económico y Turismo)

C/ Caballeros, 17 - 42002 Soria

Tfno. 975 220 511 Fax 975 231 635

turismo@dipsoria.es